Sunday, July 29, 2012

Keith Elisberg - Pequannock Sprint Triathlon/Duathlon Race Report

This is one of New Jersey's premier races. When I registered forth venue I entered the Duathlon since my shoulder was bothering me. Since then the shoulder is fine. The night prior to the race there was heavy rain. Both run legs where trail runs. Needless to say it was muddy and not easy. The bike course was flat but windy and a little slick on the corners. The weather while there was no rain it was high humidity.

So I got up at 0400 totally psyched to race. Walked the dogs, got myself ready and made the thirty minute ride in twenty. Set up my transition and did some warming up. We went off with the elite wave. Started my Polar RCX5 and was off. I held back since I didn't want to go out to hard. Despite the humidity I had clear vision thanks to my Rudy Project eyewear. I picked up the pace at the split and hit T1 in under 7:00 minutes in second place. Flew out in 38 seconds. Despite the slick turns and wind I averaged over 20 MPH. I had fully confidence with my Maxxis tires and if I did crash had my Rudy Project Helmet and Road ID on. Coming into T2 I nearly collided with a racer who only did one lap and stopped to turn around to go back out. That guy turned out to be an old friend. Dismounted my bike safely then cut my bike toe. I didn't notice till mile one. In T2 first. Out of T2 in about 35 seconds and gave it everything on the run. Everyone suffered on the run. It was a muddy Xterra run. It was a matter of survival. Me and two other guys kept switching leads during the bike. I was not going to give up this position. Finally out of the woods and half mile to go. I picked up the pace the best I can to get a little bigger gap with the guy chasing me down. There it is the finish arch. Yahoo! Crossed the line at 1:03+. First Place and Winner of the Duathlon! The field was small as was the Triathlon which was racing at same time. I am thinking the weather. I am happy with the day. I rode hard and held off the chase. Unfortunately they only gave age group medals and no overall. I think I also got a few guys from FDNY to join the team.

Next stop Ironman NYC Championship in Fort Lee, my home town, as Team Firefighter will have racers and an aid station.

No comments:

Post a Comment