Saturday, July 28, 2012

Bryan Hunt - Bio

Bryan Hunt
Age: 25 years old… with over 25 anniversary’s of my 25th birthday

Professionally:
I have been in the Fire Service for over 25 years. The last 8 years as a Battalion Chief. I have worked my way from a “Public Service Officer/Firefighter” to Captain and stopping at Battalion Chief. As a Chief Officer, I have been pushing my Department to adopt the IAFF Wellness Program.

Athletically:
I have always been active in some type of sports. However, nothing formal like biking, running and swimming. I did some cycling prior to the birth of my first born. Ok….
Speed forward through the boring stuff.

I started doing triathlons by chance, in 1999. My shift partner asked me if I wanted to do the Firefighter Olympics. He was interested in doing an overall strength event, involving weight lifting (I pick things up and put them down.) swimming and a 3 mile run. After spending hours working on my running, I was informed that the event had been canceled.

After all that running, puking and more running, I wasn’t going to let that stop me. I asked the Firefighter Olympic organizers if they had any other events with swimming and running. She told me about a sprint triathlon. My reply was “sign me up.”

I made a course correction and began training for my first triathlon. I spent several months trying to train for an event that I had no prior knowledge of. The night before the triathlon, I lay awake with nervous energy. I told me wife, what the hell am I doing. I am to fat to do this event. I tipped the scale at 230 pounds, and much to my surprise, not all of that was muscle. However, I wasn’t going to back out of this event. I left it all on the course. I finished 3rd in my age group. However, the sun dial that the used to time us in those days wasn’t as accurate as today’s chip timing. Excuse my poor attempt of humor.

After that I was hooked on triathlons. Even though I felt like crap, I was making plans to do more sprint triathlons. My first goals were to finish the event and perform better than the last event. I spent years progressing from sprints to Olympic/International distances. I dropped 25 pounds over the course of several years. I was feeling better and workouts were no longer taking me days to recover. I could see some serious improvement in my overall performance. However, I still wasn’t moving from the middle of my age group.

I knew I had to work on my running. I joined the Shadowchase Running Club. I had a difficult time running any distance greater than 4 miles under a 10 minute mile. It was usually around 10:30 minute mile. With the help of some very patient running and cycling partners, I noticed my distances were increasing and my speed was slowly improving.I finally stepped out of my comfort zone and went for a “Half Ironman.” This was a large and intimidating goal. I spent hours and hours training for this event. However, I think I spent more hours recovering from my training. I finished the event. I am not sure what my time was for that race. I was still trying to figure out these new timing chips. But I wasn’t last and I finished. However, my feet were blistered and my joints where in serious pain. I almost quit doing anymore long distance triathlons or running. However, after spending the following week in Hawaii, I decided I wasn’t going to stop working towards my goal of a full Ironman.

In June 2008, finally faced my biggest goal, I was heading for Coeur de Alene, Idaho for my first full Ironman distance. My goals were simple: 1st finish, 2nd do the best that I can, 3rd have a good time and finish in less 16 hours 59 minutes. After finishing the swim and bike portion of the race in under 9 hours, I knew I had my goals met. I could walk the entire 26.2 miles and still finish prior to the cut off. I finished in 14 hours, 44 minutes and some change. I was so excited. But that would have to wait. I wanted a cheese burger to eat and than die from my exhaustion. I had blisters from heel to toes and my feet were twice their normal size. I think too much sodium in my race nutrition. And yes. I have the “MDOT” tattoo as proof of my dedication, pain and accomplishments to achieve a goal that I thought would never happen.

Today, I am tipping the scales at 183 pounds. I can run a half marathon in 1 hour and 44 minutes. I can maintain a 19 to 20 mile per hour pace on a bike for 50 miles in the rolling hills outside Turlock, not the mountains. I am still a weak climber on the bike. I am also looking forward to not only PR Ironman Lake Tahoe, but blow it out of the water, metaphorically speaking.

With 13 years of trials and tribulations, I am glad I never gave up. I can see and feel all the positive advantages to being in shape. I promote fitness and exercise to the guys at work. Sorry ladies, we don’t have any females on our payroll yet… I also promote it to anyone who asks me about my lifestyle. For me triathlons are not an event, its my lifestyle. Even after retiring, I plan to travel to different Cities, States and Countries doing 70.3 Triathlons. Any doubts, ask Rachel. I met her doing a race in Galveston, Texas.

Up coming events:
Sept. 2012 - Tough Mudder
Nov. 2012 – Big Sur Half Marathon
Jan. 2013 – The Goofy Challenge in Disney World
Sept, 2013 IM Lake Tahoe

No comments:

Post a Comment