Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Road ID Story - Two sides - Happy Ending

As firefighters, we learn rather quickly that Hollywood blows way out of proportion how many times CPR really works.  Most of the time, especially when it's an athlete, the story doesn't have a happy ending. 

As an author, I get to write some pretty cool things.  Thanks to Jamie and an very blessed athlete, I get to tell a pretty awesome story tonight.  Nothing comes close to this.  I'm sharing Jamie's and Mike's story with you (Mike's was written by his wife, Penny).  Penny's letter is presented in it's entirety.

Jamie's Story: 

On the morning of October 15, 2011 around 9 a.m., I was working at the fire station when we received a call to a CPR in progress on Evans to Locks Road.  Evans to Locks Road has a asphalt running trail next to the road and is very popular for runners and walkers.  When my partner and I arrived on scene, we saw a man laying in the grass next to the running trail. There was another man performing chest compressions on him.  When I got to the patient, the first thing I noticed was his Road ID bracelet. I am familiar with the Road ID because I have one myself.  I made a quick check of his bracelet and no immediate medical needs were noticed.  We shocked the patient and continued CPR until the EMS unit arrived on scene.  

Because of the above actions the patient is alive today and has no issues from this event.  He will resume his running in the near future and is a good friend of mine today.  I feel the Road ID bracelet was very helpful that day and I have been telling all of my coworkers in fire and EMS about the Road ID bracelet.  As a athlete and Firefighter/EMT-I, I feel that the patient's Road ID was a tremendous help to the emergency crew on that day.

Penny's Story:

Saturday, October 15 began like a lot of Saturday mornings in our house. Mike and I have both been training for another half marathon, so we are always heading out the door early. That particular Saturday, I decided to skip my long run, so at 7am Mike and I did our normal routine before he left. We said a prayer together, exchanged a kiss and an "I love you" and he headed out the door. With my "be careful" ringing as he closed the door. Little did I know, it would be 24 hours that seemed like 24 years before I would look into his blue
eyes again. Saturday morning, Mike was doing an 11-mile run along Evans to Lock Road when he suffered a massive heart attack. Typing this still brings tears to my eyes, a lump in my throat, a knot in my stomach but a huge praise to our loving God. He was with Mike every step of the way that morning. While he was running, he suffered a plaque rupture and basically "dropped dead" with no warning sign at all. God had already prepared the way by placing a CRNA in his path that came upon him, assessed him, found no pulse
and immediately began CPR. Another passer-by quickly helped out and called 911. The CRNA performed CPR for 6 minutes before the paramedics arrived - with no pulse. The EMT(Jamie Champion) arrived and they immediately shocked Mike. They regained a slight pulse, only for him to have to be shocked yet again once he was in the ambulance (before they ever left the scene).

Since I had decided not to run, I was on my way downtown to pick up Holden and decided to drive down Evans to Lock to see if I could meet Mike along the way, when I saw the ambulance and fire truck. I looked to see what was going on and looked for Mike's bright yellow shirt, but did not see it so I drove on to the intersection and turned on Stevens Creek Road. God quickly spoke to me and I made a U-turn to go back. As I got back to the scene, I saw the stretcher with a bright yellow shirt. In shock, I got out of my car and simply
said, "That’s my husband". I'm not sure who was more shocked to hear those words, the paramedics, or me speaking them. He was taken to MCG due to the fall and trauma to his face and to be evaluated for any possible head trauma. He received a heart cath  immediately and they placed a stent in the main right artery. The rupture caused a 100% blockage in the artery. He was placed on a ventilator for 24 hours and finally opened his eyes at 7am Sunday morning. Joy certainly came with my morning on that day!

God's hand was all over this "event". From the timing of the CRNA arriving; to me coming upon the accident to every EMT and healthcare worker being in place as he arrived at the hospital. Every detail falling into place - a coincidence? Hardly. You see, Mike doesn't believe in those, nor do I. However, we do believe in divine intervention, that God is sovereign and that His love never fails us. And the fact that He places angels like
Geoff Duncklee (CRNA) and Jamie Champion (EMT) in our lives at just the right moment. Mike and I were able to meet Geoff this past Saturday, just one week following his heart attack. We also met Jamie and the rest of his team. Mike and I will be forever grateful that Geoff and Jamie were chosen to be the vessels that God used Saturday, October 15 at 9:46 AM to begin the process of saving my husband’s life. In addition to the quick response, there was another factor in our favor. Michael was wearing a Road ID band that Jamie
noticed and knew exactly what it was. Had I not driven upon the incident, I would have been called before Michael arrived at the hospital because of this additional “life saver”.

Needless to say, we’ve been seeing many doctors over the last several days and not one of them has said that Mike should be here. The CRNA even told us that Mike was the 12th person he has performed CPR on and none of them made it. He also said that he didn’t give Mike much of a chance to pull out of it. We have no idea how long Mike had been “gone” before Geoff found him and began CPR. It simply was not his time to leave this earth; God obviously has much more for him to do. There has been absolutely no damage to his heart muscle and he is recovering remarkably. There was also no head trauma from the fall. Totally amazing! Totally God!

I share this with you because it is an amazing witness of God’s sovereignty. This testimony is worth sharing and He is so worthy to be praised. He has placed prayer warriors in our lives that have sustained us through some very tough days and for that we are thankful. And He has healed like only He can heal. So, believe me, miracles are happening every day – and I am blessed to be married to one!


Jamie and Mike at the life-saving ceremony

No comments:

Post a Comment