Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Andrew Wilson - MS 150 Race Report 8/4-5/2012

MS150: Best Dam Bike Ride- August 4 and 5 2012

While this is not a race report it was a PR weekend for me.  And we are all about Firefighter fitness, so I will share my story in hopes of motivating others.
I set out with a goal in mind for the weekend “complete my first century”.  Up to this point I have not been able to train mush more that 2 hours at a time.  This equates to nothing over 35 miles for rides.  So I pack my bags Friday night.  The ride starts only 7 miles from home so I’ll get a warm up in on the way.  Besides this way my wife can bring the kids down in the car to visit for a bit on Saturday night.
Early Saturday morning I get up and set out by bike to Pewaukee, WI.  As I turn out of the subdivision I realize...it’s already 85 degrees and muggy.  Thus begins my journey for the weekend.  As this is a charity ride that is near to my family I rode as part of team Hill Yeah!.  Our fundraising team is lead by a friend of our family who somehow talked me into spending an entire weekend on my bike.  So I get to the starting location and realize that finding a few friendly faces or even the same jerseys was going to be tough in a sea of weary eyed cyclists and weekend warriors.  Alas I locate some that look like me and we begin the rally.  Slowly building in numbers I get to meet new friends and greet some old friends while we wait to start.
The ceremonies take place and they start sending groups of riders out in waves.  We set out as a team and stay together for all of one mile maybe.  Bikes are everywhere and I am just waiting for the massive pile up at 8 MPH to happen directly in front of me.  We make it out of town safely and the heard begins to thin and organize.  I stick with a couple that has many miles experience and we head to the first of many rest stops for the weekend.  My favorite was the second stop of Saturday, two frosty mugged carbohydrate beverages.  Continuing on Saturday was fairly uneventful.  As scheduled I rode the century route that day.  While at the last stop one of the SAG vehicles came through and suggested that if we wanted to complete the ride go now.  After riding all day in 100 degree humid weather, we were now looking at severe thunderstorm warnings.  So I push off, at this point I am riding solo, and suck the wheels of a group riding by.  Being led by a teenager I had a hell of a time keeping the 20 MPH pace this late in the day.  So with my head still high I rode into UW-Whitewater solo and starting to cramp, bad!  The last two miles I could not coast without instant quad cramps.  Over 100 miles and my first century in the books!
I give away my bike for the night, check in to the dorms, and let the festivities begin.  Due to the severe weather the organizers asked everyone to seek shelter.  Storms blew through without incident.  My loving wife arrives with my necessities; riding kit for day 2, toiletries, and my Kilt and Team Fire Fighter tech shirt.  Oh yes as much as I support the MS society, Code 3 for a Cure still gets post race advertisement every time!

So the plan for day two is to easy pedal the first couple of legs, and see how it goes.  Surprisingly enough the only thing in “pain” was my sit bone area.  So ride we shall.  The day started with less traffic, lower temps, more wind, and some of the hilliest areas to ride.  Everyone warned about the hills of day two.  They were tough but not like the century loop hills.  They were relentless, literally one after another.  By the lunch stop I was done being on the bike. The miles were getting longer and the road lonelier.  Nearing the end of the ride I came across some fellow firefighters as a team.  They were some Kenosha guys that are doing the same thing as Team Fire Fighter.  So we spent the last 20 plus miles riding together discussing the joys riding for fitness, among other things.  I love this brotherhood!  I am not sure what was the best finish to the weekend; completing 200 plus miles in two days, completing this PR on my mother in-law’s birthday, riding in with fellow fire fighters,  seeing my kids waiting patiently, or the compilation of all of these together?  Oh, and the first thing I wanted was my kilt and Team Fire Fighter shirt...such a comfy way to promote our team!

No comments:

Post a Comment