Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Jimmy Koppert - LeadMan 250

Leadman Epic 250 Bend, OR Race Report (9/22/12)

About the LeadmanTri Bend Race Course

 5K Swim — Voyage Across the Cultus
LeadmanTri Bend starts with a brisk swim in Cultus Lake. A deep, mountain lake at the base of Mount Cultus, it is filled with crystal clear water that is expected to be approximately 64 degrees on race day. The course will be two 2.5K laps along the shoreline. Swimmers will exit the water after lap one and pass an aid station before returning to the water for lap 2.
 223K Bike — Trek Round Mount Bachelor
One of the most scenic and challenging courses in the sport of triathlon, the LeadmanTri Bend course climbs over the Bachelor pass not once but twice, with 1.5 laps around Mt. Bachelor. Athletes will have spectacular views of the summit, several mountain lakes and the shores of the Deschutes River. The bike finishes with a 16-mile descent into Bend.
 22K Run — Tetherow Dash
The run course takes you out and back along the Deschutes River, through the majestic Tetherow Golf Club, and finishes crossing over the pedestrian bridge into the Events Plaza in the Old Mill District of Bend. The entire course is known for its old growth, large Ponderosa Pine, Douglas fir and western White Pine, sometimes rising to 120 feet (37m) tall.
Race Report
The alarm was going off and the music of Jack Johnson was to thank for that. It was the BIG day! I looked over at my brother and there were no words spoken, maybe because it was 3:45AM! I had already set out my morning outfit and it looked like I was headed to the snow. After getting all things packed up in the van I was off to where the shuttle busses were. I jumped on and tuned out listening to my music. The bus ride was scheduled to take roughly 45mins to the start of the swim (Cultus Lake) The funny things was that our bus driver got lost and it took us 1 Hour and 30mins. Everyone on the bus thought we would miss the start, that was until we realized that the course officials were sitting behind us! After the fun detour we got to Cultus Lake and set up T1 and got the wet suits on. I was not showing it but WOW was I nervous. My brother and I stayed with each other and with 15 mins before the start of my wave was in the water surrounded by nervous souls and pros (Jordan Rapp & Matt Lieto to name a couple) Before the start my brother and I had our game plan... stay with one another and grab someone's feet! 10..9..8..7..6...5...4..3..2..BOOM the 5K Swim was underway! Months of preparation and races lead to this moment to get my BELT BUCKLE!!!! The swim was a two loop course and buoys were placed every 50 yards which helped with my sighting. After the first loop we were to get out of the water and loop around the timing mat, I did so and looked behind me and my brother was nowhere to be found. I was nervous because I did not know if he went ahead of me was stuck in the back. Without hesitation I dove back into the water and started out for my second and final loop, I found myself in a nice rhythm and was enjoying the swim surprisingly. Just like my workouts I tried and negative split my second half of the swim to the first half. Finishing up the second loop I ran out of the water and up to the changing tent, It was a chilly morning and I knew at the high altitude that I would need to put on some warm clothes. I spend total of 7 mins and 18 seconds stripping down and dressing up. I ran right over to my bike and my coach was there saying  "Great job" my first words were "Where is my brother?!" I looked over where he placed his bike and it was still there, so I knew I was ahead of him :) I jumped on my bike ready to head out for the 223K bike ride! I felt great on the bike, a little chilly but was in a good position and was flying, in the back of my head I was thinking "Where is my brother, he is a little faster on the bike than I am and thought he would catch up." It was a beautiful course, I was in good shape through the first 90 miles to the top of Mt. Bachelor, I looked at my average speed at it read 24.8MPH!!! I was PUMPED! That second time up Mt. Bachelor got me, my MPH were declining rapidly, I was afraid of this the BONK was setting in! My body was telling me to stop and my mind was saying "NEVER GIVE UP!" I kept going and stopped a few times up the top of Mt. Bachelor. I stopped once for about 10 seconds and one fit guy passed me and had encouraging words for me, "ROCKY BALBOA, NEVER GIVE UP!" I jumped on my bike and kept a decent pace into T2. In the back of my mind I kept thinking, "Where the HELL is my brother?!" As I came into T2 I raced over to my bag and saw my Dad, Sister, Coach, and my BROTHER! As I ran over there I could see my brothers arm wrapped up and knew he took a spill. As I get over to my bag my brother says, "Jimmy I CRASHED, but your going to get the BELT BUCKLE!!" I got a rush of adrenaline, changed into my running gear and was off out of the tend to start the 22K run. I don't know what it is about crowds, but I get a rush or energy and my first 2 miles were around 8min miles, that would change. The run course takes you out and back along the Deschutes River, through the majestic Tetherow Golf Club, and finishes crossing over the pedestrian bridge into the Events Plaza in the Old Mill District of Bend! The best thing that happened during the run was a gentleman and myself had the same pace working with us and we ran together the whole way. We even ran an extra mile off course and looked at each other and earned around and said "Keep going, we got this!" With a quarter of a mile left, I could see my brother and him yelling "The finish is right over the bridge!" My brother ran to the finish with me and when I crossed I looked up with arms in the air! I FINSIHED!!! About 20 seconds later my running partner and friend Brian Holthus crossed and we high fived each other and then got our medals!!!
Leadman Epic 250 Splits



Here is the Leadman Epic 125/250 Offical Video!!!!!!!!
At 45 seconds into the video you can see my brother and I thumbs up and smiles on our face ready to have some fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WegtwCm-F00

No comments:

Post a Comment