Thursday, September 27, 2012

Chris Hertel - Bio

1) I am currently 34, however will turn 35 on October 19.

2) Live and work in Rocklin, California

3) Rocklin Fire Department, Firefighter / Paramedic. I have been in the fire service since 1995.

4) I race for myself, my family, and my profession. I would say it started in 2004. At that time I had been in the fire service for 10 years. While at a Christmas Dinner a picture was taken of my wife and I. Later after seeing the picture I realized that what I thought I looked like and what I actually looked like were two different things. 10 years of firehouse tradition of 1/4 of pie and ice cream and weekend breakfasts had taken their toll. I obviously wasn't happy with my looks and how I felt. I made it my mission to get back in shape so I could live a long healthy life and be able to perform my job at its best. I did a Sprint Triathlon in 2005 and was hooked. From then on I kept setting bigger goals which I have since accomplished (Olympic Triathlon, Duathlons, 1/2 Marathon, Marathon, Tough Mudder, and a 72 Mile bike ride around Lake Tahoe to name a few. I have tried to compete in at least one and up to five races a year. My next goals are a Half Ironman and a full Ironman. In 2008 my son was born and in 2010 my daughter. I now run for them as well. I want them to grow up being exposed to health and fitness. My daughter at 2 now loves wearing her "running" shoes and goes on runs around the block. Also I wouldn't have accomplished my goals without the love and support of my wife. After having two kids, she is close to finishing her second marathon as well as numerous 5K, 10K and sprint triathlons. She keeps me inspired and together we hope to instill those values into our kids. I have also become certified as an Ace Peer Fitness Trainer with the goal to help educate my fellow firefighters.

5) My current goal is to complete a Half Ironman next year (Wildflower) and to complete a full Ironman in 2014 (Lake Tahoe Ironman)

6) I've never finished on the podium. My favorite races would be anything at Lake Tahoe, the Lake Tahoe Marathon series or the Kokanee Trail Run. You cant beat the scenery. Most of my races have been around the Sacramento/Reno area. I plan on competing in the Lake Tahoe Ironman in 2014, I am guessing that it will become my favorite race.

No comments:

Post a Comment